ShapeShapeauthorShapechevroncrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

October Egg Production Up Slightly

by 5m Editor
23 November 2006, at 10:03am

US - U.S. egg production totaled 7.67 billion during October 2006, up slightly from last year.

Production included 6.60 billion table eggs, and 1.07 billion hatching eggs, of which 1.00 billion were broiler-type and 67 million were egg-type. The total number of layers during October 2006 averaged 344 million, up slightly from last year. October egg production per 100 layers was 2,231 eggs, down slightly from October 2005.

All layers in the U.S. on November 1, 2006 totaled 344 million, up slightly from last year. The 344 million layers consisted of 288 million layers producing table or market type eggs, 53.2 million layers producing broiler-type hatching eggs, and 2.79 million layers producing egg-type hatching eggs. Rate of lay per day on November 1, 2006, averaged 72.2 eggs per 100 layers, down slightly from November 1, 2005.

Egg-Type Chicks Hatched Up 2 Percent

Egg-type chicks hatched during October 2006 totaled 36.3 million, up 2 percent from October 2005. Eggs in incubators totaled 32.8 million on November 1, 2006, down 3 percent from a year ago. Domestic placements of egg-type pullet chicks for future hatchery supply flocks by leading breeders totaled 223,000 during October 2006, up 19 percent from October 2005.

Broiler-Type Chicks Hatched Down 1 Percent

Broiler-type chicks hatched during October 2006 totaled 772 million, down 1 percent from October 2005. Eggs in incubators totaled 608 million on November 1, 2006, down 2 percent from a year earlier. Leading breeders placed 6.74 million broiler-type pullet chicks for future domestic hatchery supply flocks during October 2006, down 3 percent from October 2005.

To view the full report, including tables, please click here (PDF)

ThePoultrySite News Desk

5m Editor