ShapeShapeauthorShapechevroncrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

RTC Weight Down Three Per Cent from Last Year

by 5m Editor
26 August 2010, at 12:43a.m.

US - The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) reports a three per cent drop in poultry ready-to-cook (RTC) weights in its monthly <em>Poultry Slaughter</em> report for July 2010.

Poultry certified wholesome during July 2010 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.55 billion pounds, down 3 per cent from the amount certified in July 2009. The June 2010 revised certified total at 3.68 billion pounds, was up 2 per cent from June 2009. The June revision represented an increase of 13.7 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of poultry inspected during July 2010 was 4.71 billion pounds, down 3 per cent from 4.84 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.04 billion pounds, down 2 per cent from July 2009. Mature chickens, at 71.7 million pounds, were down 5 per cent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 583 million pounds, down 5 per cent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 13.0 million pounds, up 1 per cent from last year.

The preliminary total live weight of poultry inspected during July 2010 was 4.71 billion pounds, down 3 per cent from 4.84 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.04 billion pounds, down 2 per cent from July 2009. Mature chickens, at 71.7 million pounds, were down 5 per cent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 583 million pounds, down 5 per cent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 13.0 million pounds, up 1 per cent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during July 2010 averaged 5.57 pounds per bird, up 1 per cent from July 2009. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.91 pounds per bird, up slightly from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during July 2010 averaged 28.6 pounds per bird, up slightly from July 2009.

Ante-mortem condemnations during July 2010 totaled 14.0 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.30 per cent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.26 per cent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 32.5 million pounds, were 0.91 per cent of quantities inspected, as compared with 1.00 per cent a year earlier.

July 2010 contained 22 weekdays (including one holiday) and 5 Saturdays, while July 2009 had 23 weekdays (including one holiday) and 4 Saturdays.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.