ShapeShapeauthorShapechevroncrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

RTC Weight Up Three Per Cent from Last Year

by 5m Editor
27 September 2011, at 9:35am

US - The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) reports a three per cent increase in poultry ready-to-cook (RTC) weights in its monthly <em>Poultry Slaughter</em> report for August 2011.

Poultry certified wholesome during August 2011 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.84 billion pounds, up 3 per cent from the amount certified in August 2010. The July 2011 revised certified total at 3.52 billion pounds, was down 2 per cent from July 2010. The July revision represented an increase of 0.71 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during August 2011 was 5.09 billion pounds, up 2 per cent from 4.97 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.37 billion pounds, up 2 per cent from August 2010. Mature chickens, at 76.4 million pounds, were up 2 per cent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 630 million pounds, up 4 per cent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 14.3 million pounds, up 3 per cent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during August 2011 averaged 5.77 pounds per bird, up 4 per cent from August 2010. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.81 pounds per bird, down 2 per cent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during August 2011 averaged 28.5 pounds per bird, up 2 per cent from August 2010.

Ante-mortem condemnations during August 2011 totaled 12.2 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.24 per cent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.29 per cent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 35.0 million pounds, were 0.90 per cent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.90 per cent a year earlier.

August 2010 contained 22 weekdays (including 0 holidays) and 4 Saturdays, while August 2011 contained 23 weekdays (including 0 holidays) and 4 Saturdays.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.